IBM AS/400 Monitoring Principles
The following protocols are used to monitor an AS/400 host:
- SNMP: SNMP must be configured on the AS/400 host, and the ServiceNav Box must also be configured.
- Via telnet: direct command execution on AS400 and syntax analysis of the results on the ServiceNav Box side. A user is required on the AS/400 side.
- Via API and calling of monitoring library functions (RPG) installed on the AS/400 host: an AS/400 user is required
- Via Java API JTOpen/TCP: a user is required on the AS/400 side
The AS/400 must be able to communicate with the ServiceNav Box. Therefore, the Option 12 Host Servers must be installed and active on the AS/400.
The UDP/161 port must be open from the ServiceNav Box to the AS/400. All UDP ports must be open from the AS/400 to the ServiceNav Box.
Set up the SNMP community: public => CFGTCP / option 20 / option 1 / option 2 = Work with communities for SNMP
Make sure that SNMP service starts in auto: => CFGTCP / option 20 / option 1 / option 1 =Change SNMP attributes param AUTOSTART *YES
AS/400 communicates via SNMP on UDP ports other than UDP/161. Therefore, incoming communication must be allowed on all UDP ports from the AS/400.
- Login as SSH on the ServiceNav Box
- Locate the name of the ServiceNav Box's local network interface
- Edit /etc/init.d/iptables.sh
- Add the following lines :
## Accepting incoming UDP connections to receive AS400 SNMP responses
iptables -A INPUT -p udp -i
-s <@IP LAN AS/400> -j ACCEPT
- Reload the ServiceNav Box firewall configuration by running the following line:
To check the configuration, perform an AS/400 host discovery from the ServiceNav Box, as follows here.
AS/400 configuration for API use
The following TCP communication ports must be open from the ServiceNav Box to the AS/400 host: 8470, 8473, 8475, 8476 and 449.
An AS/400 user must be defined. The minimum rights of this user must be the same as those of a local AS/400 user accessing the data collected by service templates, and therefore depends on the configured service template. A user with the following configuration will work:
User class : *SYSOPR
NAGIOS user profile Display sign-on information *NO ==> - CHGUSRPRF USRPRF(NAGIOS) DSPSGNINF(*NO)
The following service templates perform resource collection and analysis on the ServiceNav Box side:
On the ServiceNav Box side, the language to be configured in the services, in the field OS languageis that of the AS400 user:
Collection via JAVA API
The following service templates require access to the JAVA API on the AS/400 host:
Collection via JAVA API and invocation of API functions
The following service templates require a specific library to be installed on the AS/400 server:
This library is available upon request from IBM through the usual product support channel.
To install the library on the AS/400:
- Download the two SAVF files to the AS/400
- Execute the RSTLIB command for each file