Defining a notification policy for a host requires consideration of...
- ...for what events...
- ...what time slot...
- ...who to inform
The events triggering the application of the notification policy on a host are changes to the status of that host.
The notification policy can be defined for a particular host, or for a collection of hosts.
The applied notification policy is arrived at by logically merging of the notification settings set at the contact level and those defined at the host level. This rule allows you to create flexible notification management.
Example: A notification time range from 0:00 to 24:00 is defined at the E-host level. The notification time slot 5:00-12:00 is defined for Team A, the notification time slot 12:00-20:00 is defined for Team B.
- If a change of status occurs at 13:00, the B-team will be informed.
- If a change of status occurs at 10:00, the A-team will be informed.
- If a change of status occurs between 8pm and 5am, no team will be notified, but if the problem is still present at 5am then team A will be notified.
Single Host Notification Policy
Locate yourself in the company for which you want to define the notification policy for a host :
- Navigate to Configuration> Hosts > List.
- Click on the host you want to configure: The host details page is displayed on the screen.
- Select the Notifications tab on this page.
On this page, configure the notification policy as follows:
- Click Yes to enable notification on the host
- Select in the drop-down list the notification time range you want (default leave: 00h - 24h MTWTFSS)
- Select the host status changes that will cause the notification policy to be triggered
- Indicate if additional checks should be carried out before sending the first notification and confirming the status change of the host.
- If you select the event " Unstable" Specify the upper and lower thresholds that define the instability status of a host (do not select defaults).
- Select the contacts and contact groups that will be alerted by the notification sent. Only contact groups and active contacts are presented in the lists.
Notification policy for a group of hosts
It is possible to apply the same notification policy to a group of hosts using multiple selection.
Place yourself under the company for which you want to define the notification policy for a group of hosts.
- Navigate to Configuration > General > Hosts > List.
- Filter hosts of the same criticality, those for which notification is activated or deactivated, equipment of the same category, hosts containing the same string of characters, hosts with the same tag. This step is optional.
Click on the host you wish to configure, selecting it from the list, or choose them all by clicking here :
Click on the " More« and select "...". Change the notification policy
A pop-up window opens:
Choose Yes to change the notification of the selected host.