Setting a notification policy for a host requires defining...
- ...for which events...
- ...during what time frame...
- ...who to notify
The events that trigger notification for a host are changes in the status of that host.
The notification policy can be defined for a specific host, or for a group of hosts.
The effective notification policy is the combination of the notification parameters defined at the contact level and those defined at the host level. This business rule allows you to define granular management of notifications.
For example: A notification time slot of 0:00 to 24:00 is defined for host E. The notification time range 5am-12am is defined for shift A, the notification time range 12pm-8pm is defined for shift B.
- If a change in status occurs at 1:00 pm, Team B will be notified.
- If a change in status occurs at 10:00 a.m., Team A will be notified.
- If a status change occurs between 8pm and 5am, no team will be notified, but if the problem is still present at 5am then Team A will be notified.
Single host notification policy
Locate yourself in the company of a host for which you want to set the notification policy:
- Navigate to Configuration> Hosts > List.
- Click on the host you wish to configure: the host configuration screen will appear.
- Select the Notifications tab in this window
In this screen, configure the notification policy as follows:
- Click on Yes to enable notifications on this service
- Select from the drop-down list the notification time period you want (default is 00:00 - 24:00 LMMJVSD)
- Select the service status changes that will cause the notification policy to be triggered
- Indicate if additional checks should be performed (depricated)
- Select the event UnstableIf you wish to define the instability status of a service, specify the high and low thresholds (do not select by default)
- Select the contacts and contact groups that will be notified. Only 'active' contact groups and contacts are selectable in the lists.
Notification policy for a group of hosts
It is possible to apply the same notification policy to a group of hosts using multiple selection.
Position yourself in the company for which you want to define the notification policy for a group of hosts.
- Navigate to Configuration > General > Hosts > List.
- Select hosts of the same criticality, hosts for which notification is enabled or disabled, hosts of the same category, hosts containing the same string in their name, hosts with the same tag. (This step is optional).
Click on the hosts you wish to configure, either by selecting themfrom the list, or by selecting all by clicking as here :
Click on the drop down button " More" and select " Modify the notification policy .
A pop-up window opens:
Select Yes to modify the notification of the selected host(s).