Netflow service models allow you to monitor the throughput generated by an application, source ip or destination ip and generate alerts when defined thresholds are exceeded. They also provide performance data and graphs in the same way as other service templates.
Use cases and best practices for using service models
The service model has been specified to meet specific needs. It presents different fields to be filled in to target the bandwidth consumption
Ideally, each instantiated service should meet a need, for example, measuring the throughput generated by the mail service. In this case, the user will fill in the various fields necessary for this measurement (destination ip of the mail server, SMTP port 25....).
Configuring the NetworkAnalysis-NetFlow service model
In good practice, the service model NetworkAnalysis-NetFlow must be linked to the NetFlow Exporter (the switch or router that exports NetFlow data) but you can also link it to any other equipment or a System Up if needed.
After instantiating the NetworkAnalysis-NetFlowYou will need to configure the service according to your analysis needs.
The following mandatory fields must be filled in:
- Collector Storage : Address of the Collector Storage
- Allocated bandwidth: Value in the selected unit
- Unit: Output unit: kbps, Mbps, Gbps
- Alert threshold: Alert threshold in %
- Critical threshold: Critical threshold in %
- Directory Name: Path to the directory containing the exports linked to an interface
- Absence status: Status to be given in case of inactivity, e.g. 0 for OK
The other fields to be filled in allow you to target the flow to be monitored according to your needs.
Example of a configuration targeting the flow generated by a mail server:
The service will provide you with the following information:
- A status according to the thresholds set
- The flow generated in the selected unit
- Performance data
- Metrics in absolute values and in percentage of use
Metrics in absolute values :
Metrics in percentage of use :
If no data are available, please refer to the documentation https://servicenav.coservit.com/documentations/netflow-prerequis-et-configuration/ Checks and Debug sections
After instantiating as many NetworkAnalysis-NetFlow than flows to monitor, you can create one or more dashboards targeting bandwidth usage by business and be alerted according to the defined thresholds.
Here is an example of a dashboard: